The Mothering Arts
Community Supported Postpartum Facilitator Course
Nurturing Community in the Postpartum Year
I believe that when a mother feels acknowledged, resourced and a sense of belonging, her health and well-being is protected and expanded.
I believe that the postpartum days and months are a precious season in life and communities should wrap parents of newborns in care and support.
I believe that communities grow parents and that parents grow communities.
I believe that you and I can take action and hold space to make sure that happens -- and that when we do that, we’re literally growing a kinder, more humane world.
I don't just believe it, I know it.
After nearly 20 years of working with families, I have learned that a strong sense of community is essential for healing, bonding and belonging in the postpartum year.
That’s why I founded Mothering Arts…
...and that’s what our Facilitator Course can help you do.
Taking this course will equip you with the practical tools you need to start and nurture a postpartum community group in your neighborhood.
The word facilitator means, one who makes easy.
A facilitator is the one who casts the circle, weaves collective wisdom from the participants, inspires harmony through song and gentle bonding games, opens the doors for authentic conversation, and shares resources that help ease the postpartum transition into parenting.
You do the essential work of building and tending healthy, resilient and compassionate families and communities.
Mothering Arts~Community Supported Postpartum is an inclusive support group model that will help you do that.
Our community supported postpartum course is born out of years of early childhood education, traditional mothering practices, postpartum nurturing techniques as well as physiological evidence-based practices devoted to the well-being of the mother and child.
The Mothering Arts Community Supported Postpartum course quickly and deeply supports you to facilitate a local multi-generational gathering for elders, parents and babies in the postpartum year.
In this course, you will learn a successful and sustainable format to simply plug-in and make it your own.
Sign up today to join our next course that begins October 23, 2020.
Here’s what I want for you, as a Community Group facilitator:
I help facilitators confidently and tenderly hold space in multi-generational supportive gatherings for mothers and babies in the postpartum year…
...and I show you how to do that without reinventing the wheel.
I want you to feel
- Confident that you can hold space and grow your postpartum group
- Resourced with tools and tips that will delight and inspire your parents of newborns
- Inspired to create a multi-generational nurturing group that supports the HUGE transition into parenthood
Hundreds of womxn from all over the world have taken our training and this course incorporates their learning from their communities and experiences.
Community Supported Postpartum groups challenge myth that baby gear consumerism somehow equates showing up for new parents.
We want to interrupt the narrative that the more you buy demonstrates how much you support a new family...because a baby wipe warmer will never replace meaningful in-person connection.
- CSP facilitators acknowledge, affirm and make space for patience and self-compassion
- They normalize the reality that the process of becoming a parent takes time
- They help parents of newborns navigate sleep deprivation
- They can help new parents stave off depression/anxiety
- They help parents distance themselves from the toxic culture which devalues new parent's innate wisdom and instincts
- They can help new parents attune to their community as a source of support and reflection
The antidote to the alienation of parents from themselves and their communities is to re~weave heart connections among peers who are in the same tender time of life alongside mentors and elders.
Our diverse group of facilitators and wise community mentors understand the unique culture and needs of their own community and location, which creates an individual and relevant experience.
You know the needs and culture of your community best, this course will support you to let your gifts shine as you weave connections at your gathering.
I want you to feel confident and inspired to create your unique class that speaks to the culture and needs of your community.
Through our handbook and nine day online course you will learn
- A clear clear and simple method of forming, growing and tending a local group
- How to connect new parents in a local supportive group
- How to share valuable parent and child education
- How to cultivate collective wisdom that inspires each parent to claim their uniqueness
After the course ends you will continue to feel supported by the inspiration of over 200 graduates from all around the world, transforming our shared values into your unique community offering.
You will receive:
- Comprehensive E-handbook for nurturing groups
- A 9-day online course starting October 23rd 2020
- Exclusive group facilitator content (songs, games, conversation prompts, ideas for guest speakers, supply checklist, enrollment details, how to structure your group, etc)
- Educational videos and articles
- 4 intensive webinars (described below) to leave you feeling confident and clear.
- Access to our private online collection of ideas for your group created by past participants
- One year listing on our beautiful website, we will announce your community group to our mailing list and social media
AND...Personal support from Community Supported Postpartum Founder, Kerry Ingram, during the duration of the course and beyond.
Day One: Reflect What brought your here, why is community support important for new families? What is your intention and inspiration to gather and nurture mothers? Learn about the Mothering Arts community supported postpartum vision.
Day Two: Acknowledge What does the postpartum time look like in your community presently? Learn the common nurturing practices that have existed for centuries for the postpartum period. Notice the threads that weave us together collectively. Acknowledge the needs of our unique community.
Day Three: The Fourth Trimester Why is the postpartum season so important? How can we, as a community, step into our necessary role to acknowledge this as a time unto itself and wrap ourselves around new families in support of this transition.
Day Four: What does community mean to you? Learn ways to connect and nurture community. Learn to create a safe place rooted in trust, integrity and safety. Making requests~how to support families to do so, and what is stopping us from asking for help.
Day Five: Gather The heart of this vision is gathering in real life, face to face. Learn how to connect with your community and the mamas you will serve. Receive a supply list as well as ways to gather resources for your group. *Support in the time of Covid-19, yes. I have added to this module how to shift your group online in light of the Pandemic and other natural disasters.
Day Six: Collective Wisdom Invite the wisdom of your community to support your group. Learn the components of a well-balanced gathering. Practice creating a sample gathering with other participants. Receive over 100 examples of themed classes you can offer...with every delicious detail!
Day Seven: Caring Learn the foundations of care that nurture parent's-wisdom, parent-baby bonding and the roots of respectful baby tending. Today we also learn about the importance of welcoming elders and inter-generational gatherings. Learn how to create a safe,warm and welcoming space.
Day Eight: The Nitty Gritty Today you will learn the nuts and bolts that have sustained local gathering all around the world. We will also have an honest conversation about worth and value. See what my annual rhythm looks like from outreach, enrollment to scheduling each group.
Day Nine: Your Treasure Box Finish the training with oodles of resources for your own inspiration as well as thoughtful articles, recipes, conversation prompts, printable guides and journal pages and oh so much more.
How does the course work?
- In this nine day live course that begins 10/23/2020 you will learn how to create a supportive gathering for parents and babies in your own community. Participation during the nine days is required.
- Each day of the course, new content is released via a link to the course sent directly to your inbox. You decide when you can spend 2 hours each day participating by reading articles, watching videos, writing responses to questions and reading the replies from others.
- Two days before the course begins, you will receive the digital Community Supported Postpartum Handbook which you are welcome to print or keep as an e-file (or both). The Handbook is a great tool for the foundation pieces like why this work is important, basics of setting up your class, supplies, where to find participants, recipes, songs and games. We will read through this as a group through the week as a small part of our work together and you can return to it any time.
- I'll will be alongside you the 9 days, answering questions and fully present for each participant every day.
- At the end of the nine day training, you will have access to four resource blocks that can be accessed at any time to further prepare you for successfully creating and sustaining a local group.
- Upon completion, you will also have access to over 100 class examples from past participants of ideas for topics, conversations, journal prompts, songs, games and recipes to share with your group...a treasure box to last years!
- Lastly, you can connect with other facilitators in our secret Facebook group (we may move to Slack) to share relevant articles, ask questions and encourage each other's success.
Our four self-paced intensive follow up blocks dive deeper into topics that keep our offering sustainable for you and your participants.
- Sustaining Community: Real life tools and resources to share with your group on how to stay connected and truly build community. We can help facilitate strong connections by offering resources like freezer stocking parties, swaps and care-shares for parents to grow together.
- Preparing for your class: How to get clear on your intention for the group, how exactly you want your class to be structured, gathering helpful resources for parents and designing the space.
- Organization: How to streamline the process of outreach, enrollment, continued contact and planning ahead for your next season. I have learned so much in the last 6 years, and want to make this as easy as possible for you without reinventing the wheel.
- Facilitator Care: If you are nurturing the nurturers, how do you nurture yourself? In this webinar, we will get clear how how much you want to be available after contact hours and in what way, how to weave in best practices for your own care during your week, how to reach out for extra support, having a back up plan in place and making time for your own inner work.
"I loved the course. I just wish it could go on and on. I am looking forward to continuing to connect afterwards." ~Brooke-Sidney Harbour
The online course and handbook include:
- The importance of a strong community during the postpartum year.
- Thoughtful and relevant articles about supporting parents, gathering resources and creating a judgement-free space.
- Practical and clear steps on how to start and grow a group in your community.
- Songs and games that build connection for parents and babies.
- Nourishing recipes for the postpartum year.
- An invitation-only online resource for facilitators to share valuable information.
- Ideas and support for community outreach and promotion.
- 4 self-paced follow up blocks to access anytime deepening your understanding as a facilitator.
- Plenty of one on one support from Community Supported Postpartum creator, Kerry Ingram, during the entire course.
This course is for:
- Birth workers who wish to offer continued care and community building
- Postpartum doulas who feel called to work in the lens of community groups
- Organizations who want to offer an inter-generational model of gathering
- Educators who are ready to include nurturing parents alongside of nurturing babies
- Waldorf and LifeWays caregivers and educators ready to nurture the nurturer using familiar values and methods in a new way.
- Parents, community members and elders who know the value of giving and receiving support in the postpartum year.
- Parents inching their way back to work doing something that gives back to their community.
- Community builders who believe inter-generational gatherings nourish families and neighborhoods..
This training is NOT for:
- Someone who wants to offer this as an online class. This is for real life in-person gatherings. (and in a pandemic, sometimes we need to go online temporarily)
- Someone who has very strong ideas on what is "the best" way to raise a baby.
- Someone who can not devote requested time each day during the training week.
"The community supported postpartum course is exactly what I needed to fan the flames of my desires! It's given me the insight and direction to help bring what's in my heart to fruition. Embracing vulnerability, creating a circle of warmth, nourishing their bellies and their souls. Kerry, thank you for this gift"! ~Meghan
Where does the course take place?
Wherever you feel you can be focused on your computer for about one-two hours each day, you choose the time of day that works best for you.
How much time does this course take?
Our online course is a nine day live course course to accompany our handbook which will be e-mailed to you before we begin. Plan on devoting two hours each day (though it may not take you nearly that long) during the course at any time that fits into your rhythm. Many of you are busy parents!
Participation on the closed online forum is required and valuable for sharing our unique ideas. It enhances the training exponentially!
What happens when I finish the course?
Upon completion you will receive an acknowledgement of completion and an invitation to our online community resources.
Is Mothering Arts-Community Supported Postpartum a franchise?
No, it is the name of my curriculum/online course AND my licensed business. It is not a franchise, I believe in uplifting sovereignty and individualism, I trust that each community organizer knows their community best. Our course will give you a well stocked tools chest to gather, nurture and weave support in your own way.
Will you share ways to reach out and reach my community?
Yes, we have great practical ideas to support you to make connections.
Will you talk about how you model your business?
Yes, though many facilitators have their own way of offering their group, I am happy to share my own journey and some great resources and additional support recommendations to create a solid foundation.
The Community Supported Postpartum course is an empowering model of honoring and connecting mothers, that allows me to frame my own mamas' circles through a feminist lens, rooted in the deep knowing of women's experiences, the diverse ways we become mothers, and filled with beauty, thoughtful insights, authentic experience, practical tools and a reverence for warmth, joy and love. I can't wait to put it all in to practice!"
Marlene Pray, MEd Passageway and Rites of Passage Facilitator, Social Justice & Sexuality Educator Doylestown, PA
The Community Supported Postpartum model feels like a much needed balm for a culture that places undue value on individualism and consumerism that can leave new mothers feeling isolated and overwhelmed. Drawing on the wisdom of others in the community and creating a intergenerational group for parents and babies to gather, share, and create feels essential in creating true community. I have so appreciated this training and it's offerings. I am completely inspired to bring what I have learned here into my own community and now I feel confident that I have the tools to do so successfully!
~ Sonja Barclay, Portland, OR
This course is a thorough guide on how to host and facilitate a consistent gathering of mothers in one's own community - especially new mothers navigating their whole new lives. How to uplift and value motherhood, and open doors to the significant feeling and security of having a village to support one's mothering journey. Honestly, something that should be so natural and simple, yet, in our modern times, has become a highly-involved to-do to check off our long lists.
~Aisyah Ezral, Oakland, CA
This online course is presented in a community centered approach, so you are not only learning from Kerry, but also from your fellow participants from around the world. It is a very comprehensive course, and Kerry is quite approachable and generous! "~Brooke Larsen, Mendocino, CA
The Community Supported Postpartum course with Kerry was absolutely wonderful! Not only did it give me perspective to nurture mamas in their journey into motherhood, it also was a source of support in my own postpartum postpartum period. The course's practical take on providing unconditional support as well as connecting with others with the same big heart was so valuable. ~Dena Smith, TX
The Community Supported Postpartum course is thorough. From it’s aesthetics to abstract thinking of heart, purpose and vision, to the nuts and bolts of “how to create a group,” no detail was spared. Kerry’s years of experience as a group facilitator along with her experience as a educator, postpartum doula as well as being a mama and foster parent herself, she brings knowledge and insight to one of the most challenging times, the postpartum year. ~Jenyng Wu, CA
Kerry's offering of the community supported postpartum course is professional, beautiful and formatted to start anyone off to reach out and start sharing. ~Margo Running, Canada
Kerry, you've created such a beautiful offering to the world. I say the world because I believe that the entire world and planet benefit when we take care of mothers and children. It's taking care of the human race. I'm very excited to work with you on this vision.!~ Brooke Sidney Harbour, Los Angeles, CA
Parents don't need another online group. They need each other.
When it comes to connection and community, nothing compares to in-person, heart-to-heart gatherings.
If you believe that the postpartum year is a special time and that communities should wrap parents of newborns in support and care…
...and it’s time for YOU to create that in your community, then welcome.
You’re one of the ‘ones who makes things easy’.
We believe in you and we’ve been waiting for you.
And so has your community.
Let’s get started.
We offer this course twice a year, our next course is scheduled for October 23rd 2020.
We offer one scholarship each course for a black, indigenous or person of color, who deserve more representation in the realms of birth and post-natal wellness. Please email [email protected] for more information.
Need a payment plan? email [email protected] and we can figure out something that works for both of us.