My oldest son has been really into pumpkin this year.
Pumpkin cookies. Pumpkin scones. Pumpkin curry. Pumpkin pancakes. Pumpkin smoothies.
So last week, we made pumpkin muffins….with chocolate of course. Because chocolate makes everything better. 😉
They are moist, yet hearty and of course delicious. Gluten-free, vegan and refined sugar free. That pretty much means guilt free too.
There isn’t much else to say! You just have to try them and savor them. What’s not to like? Pumpkin and Chocolate.
- 1 flax egg (1 TBS ground flax seed + 3 TBS water)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice (or sub buttermilk)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil or Earth Balance
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Indie Mama’s Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 1/3 cup Food For Life Chocolate Chips (Gf & Vegan)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Prepare flax egg by mixing flax meal and water in a large bowl – let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree, almond milk, coconut sugar, oil, and vanilla extract and stir. Then add salt, baking soda and powder and cinnamon and whisk.
- Add gluten-free flour blend
- Add chocolate chips and stir again lightly until just incorporated. If the batter appears too thick, add a splash of almond milk.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin tins (should be 11-12) until each liner is filled almost completely full (about 7/8ths).
- Bake for 22-28 minutes or until fluffy, golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container or bag. Freeze for longterm storage. We didn’t have anything leftover to freeze 😉